Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Book Review- Becoming Bea by Leslie Gould


This book was really my first foray into the world of Amish fiction. To be honest, I wasn't really aware of it as a literary genre. So when I received a copy to review, I really had no idea what to expect. I do know that I wasn't expecting it to be a page-turner that I didn't want to put down. It was.

The story revolves around Beatrice Zook, a young woman that believes she never wants to be married, especially to her childhood nemesis, Ben Rupp. As her family visits Montana, Bea decides to stay back, taking a job helping a family with newborn triplets. Bea's friends decide to try to bring Bea and Ben together. Through many trials and tribulations, the book draws you in- keeping you wondering if and when this couple will finally get together. I won't give away the ending for you though.

I didn't realize until I finished the book that it was the final story in a series called The Courtships of Lancaster County, each featuring a character found in Becoming Bea. I was even more surprised to discover that each book in the series is based on one of Shakespeare's- this one being an adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. Knowing this, I now want to go back and read that play again, then re-read Becoming Bea to discover the similarities.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book and how the story is highly relatable to any young woman, Amish or not. I look forward to reading more of Gould's work in the future.

I received a copy of this book from Bethany House in order to facilitate this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment